Friday 22 September 2017

Still harvesting carrots and beetroot

One of the benefits of having a veg garden right outside your back door is that you can harvest little and often - taking just what you need on each occasion, without feeling obliged to pick lots of stuff that won't be used for many days (or weeks?).

Yesterday I picked these:


Yep, just two beetroot and six carrots. But then these are quantities ideal for a two-person serving, which is exactly what I wanted. These veggies will be eaten very soon, without hanging around at the bottom of the fridge for ages.

The two beetroot demonstrate a contrast in styles. The round one is my old favourite "Boltardy", and the long one is "Cylindra".


The carrots likewise are a mix of varieties and thus shapes. I sowed a short row of six different carrot varieties this year, and Yes, I did label the rows, but don't ask me which one is which in this photo!


It's getting to the time of year when we must expect the weather to turn much cooler and wetter, and the slugs will be out in force again. Because of this, I expect to be lifting all my remaining carrots within the next couple of weeks. Beetroot, on the other hand, doesn't seem to be bothered by the slugs, and it can survive some very cold temperatures, so I won't be in any hurry to harvest mine. I haven't counted them, but I think I must have about 20 more left.

If the place in which you grow your veg is likely to become very wet in the foreseeable future, it might be a good idea to lift any remaining beetroot (and carrots too) and store them in your shed or garage. To make them last longer (i.e. stop them going soft and wrinkly!) you can store them in boxes of damp sand or sandy soil.


2 comments:

  1. Very true growing veg in your garden is the best option. We would have liked a large garden so we could do this but we couldn’t find a house we liked with a large enough garden to grow all the fruit, veg and flowers that we wanted to. We leave our carrots in the ground over winter and just dig some when we need to replenish stocks at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't managed to dig up all the potatoes yet so the carrots (and beetroot) will have to wait their turn to be harvested.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.