Saturday 19 August 2017

That's more like it!

As predicted a couple of days ago, my Runner Beans ("Scarlet Emperor") have responded to the wetter conditions and begun to produce pods in greater quantity.



In that trug there's just over a kilogram of beans (1019g to be precise!). In other words, about enough to serve the two of us four times.




They are not huge beans, and that's because I don't allow them to get too big. Runner Beans that have grown over-large are very unpleasant. They develop a fibrous inner membrane between the pod and the actual beans, which is extremely tough and chewy, with a texture much like plastic! Harvesting the beans small means a lower yield in terms of weight, but they will be far superior in terms of quality. Regular readers will remember that this year I am focussing very much on quality before quantity!


The Runner beans will soon be augmented by a few French Beans, from the plants I put into pots used earlier this year for potatoes.


Dwarf French Bean "Processor"


The French Bean plants don't look too impressive, being quite small and with pale leaves, but I think this is because the soil in those pots is a bit tired after hosting the spuds. Before planting the beans I added some pelleted chicken manure, and just recently I have given the plants a feed of liquid "Growmore" general-purpose plant food, so they ought to be doing all right.




Still, the fact that these plants are right outside my window means that I can keep a close eye on them and pick them at the perfect stage. There will be enough for one or two uses from each pot, and I have 3 pots sown with beans a week apart.

1 comment:

  1. Our beans are at the prolific 'give some away' stage now

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.