Monday 7 August 2017

Further Fungi Foraging

A recent walk around our nearby Velmead Common confirmed that there are loads of interesting fungi to be seen at present. I think the recent heavy rain has prompted them to shoot up - and of course August is prime fungi time anyway.

Regular readers will know that I don't claim any special expertise in relation to fungi (though I have learned a lot in the last couple of years), but I am very interested in them, and keen to photograph the varieties I see. Here is a little selection of the ones I saw yesterday.

I think this may possibly be Paxillus Involutus, the Brown Roll-Rim. If so, it is a particularly nasty one, and best avoided!



This is possibly Scleroderma Citrinus, the Common Earthball.




I'm fairly sure this is Leccinum Scabrum, Birch Bolete. The dark brown scales on the stem are very distinctive.




This appears to be an Agaric of some sort. The little scales on the cap remind me of the Fly Agaric, Amanita Muscaria.




I saw loads of different Russulas / Brittlegills. They come in many different colours. The name "Brittlegill" reflects the fact that fungi of this genus are very fragile and break easily. It is therefore rare to find perfect specimens.








This strange one looks as if it is mouldy, or perhaps dusted with flour!



The two smaller mushrooms in this photo are almost certainly Laccaria Amethystina, the Amethyst Deceiver. When young it is a very dark purple colour, but it fades as it matures. I have no idea what the bigger, desiccated one is.


Finally for today, a tiny brown fungus with a bright white stipe (stem). I have no idea what it is, but there were many of them, popping up in amongst the pine-cones on the forest floor.


Perhaps someone will tell me what it is...?

4 comments:

  1. Interesting!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of variety! Have you ever tried creating a spore print.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not really an expert but the tiny brown fungus could be a tawny grisette..
    http://www.first-nature.com/fungi/amanita-fulva.php

    ~Shen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.