Monday 21 August 2017

Feast, not famine

At present I don't have much gardening stuff to write about except for harvesting.


But as you can see, I have been harvesting lots of different vegetables:


The tomatoes in that basket are just representative of their type, because I have picked huge quantities of them. I noticed blight on a couple of my tomato plants on Saturday, which prompted me to pick all the fruit which was showing any sign of colouring-up, with a view to ripening it off the plant - indoors if necessary.


So far, the blight is under control. I removed all the affected fruit and leaves, and I am watching very carefully for any further infection.

You'll notice that in today's basket are a few French Beans, the first from those plants I am growing in the pots that formerly held the potatoes. It's not a lot, but they will make a nice change from the Runners (not that I dislike Runners though).


There are a few chillis in there too. They are "Cayenne" ones, which are tasty but not too hot - ideal for cooking with.


I have quite a few of them ripening now, so I'm saving them up to make a batch of Sweet Chilli Sauce.

Chilli "Cayenne"

The "Aji Benito" chillis are ripening in quick succession too, so some of these may join the Cayennes in the sauce, whilst the others will be frozen for use in the forthcoming months.

Chilli "Aji Benito"

That's all for today. I hope your harvests are proving plentiful too...

3 comments:

  1. I love the photo of the basket of fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those first two photos are absolutely glorious. They just show everything that growing your own is all about. Love it. You have had a brilliant year of vegetable growing, it's been great following along with your harvests while also tackling my own.

    Keep up the good work :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Sue! GYO is very satisfying, in a number of different ways - photography included.

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.