Friday 24 July 2015

Leeks - Phase 2

I planted a second lot of Leeks last weekend - another nine plants, next-door to the first batch. Having harvested some more kohlrabi, there is only one left.


I used exactly the same technique as last time, so I won't describe it again, but let me just show you what I did with the leftovers:


Some of the big 35-litre pots in which I have been growing potatoes are gradually becoming vacant, so I thought this way of using them would be better than just throwing away the spare Leeks. There were four of the "Apollo" left over, and six of the "Toledo".


When the final Kohlrabi comes out my last batch of Leeks will go in. I don't think I will be able to fit in another nine plants as originally intended. It might just have to be six.


Still, if space is short at least I will be able to put a few more into pots. This has some advantages, you know: I will be able to move them around the garden if necessary, for instance to maximise the amount of light they get.

6 comments:

  1. Are you using the same compost that the potatoes were grown in and have you replenished the nutrients in any way? I can never discard spare plants, I always have to find room for them somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jo, I am using the same compost, with no added nutrients. I didn't think it was justifiable to add anything when I'm just using up spare Leeks.

      Delete
  2. That would be nice to get extra leeks in the fall. Or do you harvest them in winter? Today I was pulling some green onions that were as large as leeks. I should have picked them ages ago as they were taking over the lettuce bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Leeks of 3 different varieties, so hopefully they will mature over a reasonably long period. It would be nice if some of them are still available after Christmas...

      Delete
  3. I usually feel the same way as Jo - I find it incredibly hard to get rid of extra seedlings, which is why I rarely grow extras unless experience tells me otherwise. Sometimes it works out fine and sometimes it doesn't. I'm still trying to figure out which veg would benefit from having a backup supply.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've finally managed to plant our leeks so it's fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.