More Carrots this week. On Thursday this batch:-
These are a mix of my three types, "Early Nantes", "Autumn King" and "Kelly", but I forgot to identify which ones are which. I think the sharply-tapering one (extreme left, below) is "Kelly", but I'm not really sure.
They weren't all such good-looking ones though. Look at these...
Usually it is stony soil that makes Carrots go like that, but I went to great lengths to prepare the bed for them, by adding sand and removing stones. Soil composition has a part to play in it, and I did add lots of home-made compost too. Anyway, it's not too much of a problem because the vast majority of the Carrots are nice and regularly shaped.
I got another nice batch of Beetroot this week.
That's 3 of "Boltardy" and 3 of "Baby Beet Action". The "Boltardy" ones are the bigger, redder ones and the "Baby Beet Action" are smaller and slightly darker.
On Saturday I picked this mixed basket of produce:
There were more potatoes, the last pot of "Balmoral" (694g) and the last pot of "Charlotte" (970g).
More Carrots. No funny-shaped ones this time. And notice - no Carrot Root Fly damage!
One "Mini Munch" Cucumber.
And most welcome of all, the first of the Runner Beans.
It was only half a dozen beans, but it looks as if they will be the first of many. There are many more little pods forming. The recent heavy rain will probably have done then a lot of good, because Runner Beans like plenty of moisture.
I nearly forgot to mention the Lettuce. One little head of "Tom Thumb" here, in the centre of the basket, though we have actually had Lettuce several times.
Next week I hope to be showing off my first ripe tomato. Yes, probably only one!
This is my entry for Harvest Monday, hosted each week by Daphne's Dandelions, so why not visit Daphne's blog and see what harvests other people have been getting.