Friday 20 February 2015

First picking of the PSB

Well, the moment finally arrived when I felt it was OK to pick the first of this year's Purple Sprouting Broccoli. It didn't take me long to gather it - one single swipe with a sharp knife, and this is what I got:


This is the central growing-point of a "Rudolph" plant. Cutting this part off your plant forces the plant to put its energy into the formation of side-shoots. My next photo will enable you to visualise how this is going to happen...


The piece I have cut is of course a collection of smaller shoots clustered around a central stem.


I don't feel my camera has reproduced the colour accurately, but the next couple of shots will give you some idea of how beautiful this edible flower really is!






In the kitchen, this flower-head needs to be disassembled for cooking, otherwise the flower bits will end up mushy before the central stalk is cooked. I usually keep some of the leaves too, since these are nice to eat as well as the flowers.


That one piece provides plenty for a two-person serving. I'll show you tomorrow how it got used as part of a meal.

13 comments:

  1. I'm sure you enjoyed it after the long wait for it to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is beautiful. I envy your fresh broccoli.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks perfect! I plan to plant PSB for the first time this year (really broccoli for the first time!). It will be planted by seed in March (Kentucky, Zone 6). Hope my does as well as yours!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I wish you success, and I hope you get few butterflies attacking it! Growing PSB is a long-term investment, but so worth it.

      Delete
  4. It really is gorgeous. Is the flavor any different from green sprouting broccoli?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think PSB tastes a bit stronger than the green types. The texture is different too - softer, because it forms thinner florets. When cooked well it has a sort of buttery texture.

      Delete
  5. We usually see the green ones here. This is beautiful! I'm eagerly looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The colour on that PSB is gorgeous - and I'm also looking forward to your culinary review on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. No, but maybe I should. The green Calabrese type is definitely nice raw.

      Delete
  8. Yummee! You got a good picking from just the top.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.