Sunday 12 October 2014

Preparing Brassicas for Winter

Last weekend I took down my Runner Beans and their support system. This was a task well-timed, because the following day we had our first real taste of Autumn, with heavy rain and strong winds. I'm glad that job is out of the way! Winter is not too far away now, so this is the time to make sure that your garden is ready for it.

As you know, I had been toying with the idea of removing the nets from my brassicas, since I haven't seen any butterflies for a while. Well, close inspection revealed that this task had become very necessary. The Purple Sprouting Broccoli and Brussels Sprouts have grown huge, and were pressing up against the tops of their nets.

PSB, with chillis in foreground


Even the smallest of my PSB plants is now BIG!

So, I have taken the nets off. You could almost hear a sigh of relief as the plants stretched out!


This has allowed me to tie the plants more securely to their stakes, so that they don't get blown over by any gales of wind we might have. I use soft string for this task, and several turns of it, to ensure the plant is firmly secured. A single turn of string might easily snap, and it also might cut into the plant if put under pressure.


I have also removed more of the lower leaves of the Brussels Sprouts to improve air circulation (which will in turn reduce the risk of fungal disease), and to persuade the plants to put more energy into sprouts than into foliage.


The sprouts are looking good, although mostly they are still fairly small. I must admit that we have already eaten a few, even though I'm sure they would have grown bigger. The little ones are really sweet. (In terms of their taste, I mean, not their cuteness).


The cabbage-like Tops are also looking tasty!


This next photo makes it look as if I have masses of brassicas. In fact I have six Brussels Sprout plants and six of Purple Sprouting Broccoli.


By the way, the Asparagus fern in the next bed is still showing no sign of turning yellow. Well, perhaps a slight tinge, if you look very closely.


I'll soon have to make a decision about cutting it down anyway. If I leave it, it will inevitably be blown about by the wind, which may rock the plants too much and disturb the roots. In theory though I should leave the fern alone until it turns yellow and begins to die back. Until this happens the fern is serving a useful purpose - gathering solar energy to build up the plant's strength for next year. Maybe I'll leave it another week or so...

9 comments:

  1. The brassicas look well Mark. We daren't remove our nets as the wood pigeons take it as an invitation to dine. I wish the nets kept whitefly out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sprouts are looking good, it's something I don't bother growing as there's only myself who eats them in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently removed my brassica netting as well & my plants were just as relieved! I had no idea that brussel sprout plants formed a cabbage type head on top - I'm assuming you can eat that as well? Is that something you would cook like brussel sprouts or could you eat it raw as you would a regular heading cabbage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, Yes we always eat the Brussels Tops - they are like a firm, full-flavoured cabbage. I don't think they would be nice eaten raw though - perhaps a bit too tough. More info here:- http://marksvegplot.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/brussels-tops-verdict.html

      Delete
  4. I wish I could grow Brussels I don't think I have ever had tight sprouts. Have you shown a garden plan this year you know - what you grown in each bed - it would be really helpful to all us small space gardeners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elaine; No, I have not published anything like that - but it is something I will consider for a future post. I have read that the key to getting firm sprouts is to grow them in firm ground - i.e. plant them with the minimum digging possible and then leave them undisturbed. Not sure if this is true, but the sprouts I have grown these last 3 years have been fine, and I have used this approach.

      Delete
  5. Lovely brassicas. Those sprouts looks so good. I've removed some of the netting from my brassicas this week and will probably be removing more this coming weeks. They really don't need to be on anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love to see your beautiful brassicas. So healthy and strong. We in Croatia have summer weather now - warmth and no rain at all for at least next ten days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look good Mark. I've had a real problem this year with whitefly and removed a couple of the plants as they are absolutely covered in the stuff. And the sprouts on the other plants, although quite large, need serious peeling and cleaning before they can be eaten. It's making me seriously think about growing something else in the space next year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.