Wednesday 8 January 2014

Mesclun - part 2

The other day (18th December, to be exact) I sowed some seeds for the salad mix called Mesclun, and put them in my "Growlight House" to bring them on rapidly. They germinated in about 48 hours:


With the warmth and light provided by the Growlights, the seedlings have indeed grown quickly, and are now approaching the "Baby Leaf" stage, at which I will be able to start cropping them:


You can clearly see the different types of seedling in the mix now, including endives, chervil, rocket and (the best-looking one) a red-stemmed chicory of some sort:


Alongside the Mesclun have been three "Little Gem" lettuce, which had been reluctant to grow.


Now look at them:


I'm not sure what to do with these lettuces. They will probably end up being part of the "Baby Leaf Salad" along with the Mesclun. If I were to plant them outside I suspect they would just revert to sulk mode and do nothing.

8 comments:

  1. Mesclun is very popular here in France - you can buy cut mesclun in every supermarket, together with chicory for winter salads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, you're lucky. I wish it were the same here. We occasionally see Mesclun at a Farmers' Market, but seldom in a supermarket.

      Delete
    2. A lot of supermarkets have it here in the US, not all of them. It is quite popular.

      Delete
  2. I've got a packet to sow myself. I think mine will have to be happy with the kitchen windowsill to start its life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have teach me, an interesting way on growing and seedling. Thanks Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! We don't have Mesclun here in Croatia, either as seeds or salad mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you would like me to send you some seeds (FOC) please email me. I'd be happy to do that.

      Delete
  5. We haven't grown any salad leaves in the grow garden this year yet - maybe I should sow some.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.