As I lifted each cluster of Shallots, I separated it into individual bulbs and spread them out to dry in the sunshine, on an old groundsheet.
If the current run of sunshine and high temperatures continues, these Shallots will dry out very rapidly!
I don't know whether it is due to my having used a slightly wider spacing for the Shallots this year or just the weather conditions, but they are significantly bigger than the ones I produced last year. Looking back at a post entitled "Shallots Longor" which I wrote in February, I see that I used a spacing of 20cm between bulbs last year, and 25cm this time,so the increased spacing is more than likely the thing that has made the difference.
Most of mine are destined to be pickled, but I think I will reserve the biggest ones for general culinary use, since we do use quite a lot of Shallots in our cooking.