Tuesday 5 February 2013

Potato Frittata

What is the difference between a Frittata and a Tortiilla? Not a lot, as far as I can see. Both are variations on the omelette theme. Anyway, never having done this before, I wanted to make one...

My version used very simple ingredients - eggs, cooked potato, shallot, cheese, parsley.  To bulk-up the meal a bit I also decided to server the Frittata with a salad and some fried Clonakilty White Pudding, some slices of which we had in the freezer, left over from a previous occasion.


In true Marksvegplot style I didn't follow a recipe for this, I just used the general guidance from recipes seen on a number of websites I had visited in order to research the subject. Anyway, this was my method:

  • Heat the grill (broiler) on the oven
  • Mix 3 eggs in a large bowl with a thinly-sliced shallot and some diced cheese (I used about 25g of firm blue cheese), and about 2 Tbsps cold milk.
  • Heat a small amount of oil in a suitable frying-pan or skillet
  • Pour into the heated pan about one-third of the egg mixture, and immediately add the sliced cooked potato, quickly arranging it in roughly horizontal layers.
  • Cook for about a minute or so - until the egg is beginning to set.
  • Add the remainder of the egg mixture, and scatter the parsley on top of it.
  • Transfer the pan to the grill.
  • Cook for another 3 - 5 minutes - until the egg is set and the top of the Frittata is golden brown - like this: 

  • Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool for a minute or two.
  • Invert the pan over a large plate and tip out the Frittata (did I mention you ought to use a non-stick pan?)
  • Then you have this: 

Frittata can be served hot, cold or tepid. I decided that ours would be the latter, so I left it about half an hour before serving. A few minutes before we wanted to eat I fried the White Pudding briefly in some oil, (about one minute per side is enough). I forgot to take any photos of the finished meal, but here is what the Frittata looked like just before adding the White Pudding:


To be honest, I think it was slightly on the runny side. It would have benefitted from another minute of cooking time. If I cook this again I'll bear that in mind. And here's our salad - lettuce, endive, radicchio and cherry tomatoes.


I was pleased with the result. Certainly a quick and easy dish with a very good Effort-to-Results ratio! One to add to my repertoire.

12 comments:

  1. I've never eaten white pudding - I'm guessing it's a bit sausagy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue; Correct! Like Black Pudding, but less extreme (no blood, that is). Also a bit like the Hog's Pudding they make in Cornwall.

      Delete
  2. Delicious looking post as usual Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always have a go at cooking these after I've been to somewhere Spanish or Portuguese.The Madeirans do a good breakfast bun with this as the filling.
    Slightly runny looks good to me.

    PS have just spotted your Norwegian weather in Fleet widget and now setting up Over Kellet as a location ready to add one to my own blog.
    The seaside landscape view looks uncannily like Morecambe Bay ....with palm trees!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does look good! Adam was after some new recipe ideas, I shall send him the link to this! I've always wanted to make what I think of as being a spanish omelette. Tortilla, Frittata... I guess you could add chilies to this too if you wanted to spice it up a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was making variations of these easy meals last year, with mock meat of course - and then I got distracted with work. I'll have to have a go again. Although I won't eat it, being a veghead, I was interested to read about the white pudding. And the parsley topping looks good too,

    ReplyDelete
  6. I call my version Tortilla but I fry the potatoes and then bake the whole lot in the oven. It is my partners favourite meal, despite his normal aversion to meals without meat. He;d probably enjoy it served with white pudding even more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Luce muy rico es una delicia al paladar me encanta la tortilla de papas quiero un trozo,saludos abrazos y abrazos

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks very nice. I admire the artistic herbs on the top!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks really good!
    And easy to do, too!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.