Friday 19 August 2011

British Butterflies

Here are some photos of butterflies which I took on our recent holiday in Herefordshire.

Red Admiral

Small White

Peacock

Peacock

Small Tortoiseshell

Comma


Speckled Wood

Gatekeeper
  
Gatekeeper
In all of the above photos I was trying to photograph the butterfly, and not the plant it was sitting on, but looking back at my photos of the holiday in Herefordshire I have been struck by the number of insects that appear in them, often by accident. (Look again at the one of the Small White, above). I think about 50% of all my plant photos have an insect in them somewhere...

Bumble Bee

Hoverfly

Ladybird

Hoverfly

*********************************************************************************
P.S.
Whilst trying to identify some of the above, I discovered this really useful website: http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/

13 comments:

  1. There's a hoverfly on one of the peacock butterfly photos too and I too have noticed that there are often insects on flowers I take photos of that I don't notice until viewing the photo.

    Is the yellow daisy Ligularia Desdemona - I have that plant and the yellow is a lovely shade against dark bronze foliage.

    The poor speckled wood ha been in the wars hasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. David Attenborough would be proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic photo's - and you identified them too! You deserve the accolade from Elaine. I would never have spotted the other insects unless pointed out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love insect, and you know that we need them in our garden. They are our best friend.
    Bravo for your great series of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been known to swerve around monarchs on our dirt road (Phil is not real impressed with my swerving on the dirt road for butterflies :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh the peacock butterfly is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really admire your photography skills. Those are beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How nice to see so many different butterflies around. I saw lots early on in the year, but they seem to have disappeared lately, I haven't even seen as many Cabbage Whites trying to get to my brassicas as usual this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They're just divine, especially the peacock. I was admiring the bugs on our flowers today too. We had hoverflys as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sue; Yes, the daisy-like plant is Ligularia Desdemona. I didn't know this until I saw it on Gardener's World last night though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely! The peacock is especially impressive. Seems we don't have that variety here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its so beautiful to see the variety of butterflies in our country.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was good to see that Monty Don's plant had some slug damage too - the slugs love ours. It's supposed to like damp conditions but seems to have thrived this dry year with less slug damage too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.