Saturday 23 April 2011

Proportional Representation

As you know, I share with my wife Jane a love of food and cooking. She also takes an active interest in what's growing in my garden, because much of it will end up as ingredients for the food she prepares. Once in a while she helps me with some garden tasks. For instance, if I am away from home on business, she will put my seedlings outside in the morning and take them inside again in the evening for me, or do some watering in the Summertime. Understandably though, she is MORE interested in her own hobby and business  - the world of "comping" (entering competitions), and she is forever winning things. Sometimes these are quite substantial (like holidays!); sometimes they are medium-sized (last week she won a top-of-the-range breadmaker machine); and sometimes they are just small things, like this "Winter in Venice" cosmetics set:


The products in this kit are mostly Sage-related: Soap, Bath Soak, Hand Wash, Hand Cream, a loofah pad, a "Fizzer" (aka Bath Bomb), and even a pair of gloves and a set of tiny gardening tools - presumably for cultivating Sage plants. The whole kit is presented in a tin container which is evidently intended to a be a window-box, and the cosmetic items are displayed inside a pair of  metal plant pots. I'm just surprised that there wasn't a packet of Sage seeds.

I jokingly said to Jane that the size of the tools, when compared with the ones I use, represents proportionally her involvement with the garden:

His:



Hers:


Of course, this is only a fair comment if I also admit that the proportion of the cooking done by her and me is in the inverse ratio!

Hers:


His:



Now, while we're on the subject of comping, I thought you might like to see this prize that Jane recently won (I expect it will appeal particularly to the Australian audience...)


This item is based upon that horrendous TV programme "I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here". It is a set of 10 white chocolate "Witchetty Grubs", 7 of which contain a toffee filling and 3 of which contain a TRIPE -flavoured filling! A new take on Russian Roulette perhaps...

********************************************************************************

P.S. I have started a new PAGE, called "Herbs", on which I am posting photos of the herbs I grow. Please have a look!

11 comments:

  1. I learn a new word today "comping". I will be visiting your herbs page regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have all the big tools and all the big meat here...where did I go wrong...lol...he is cutting the grass today...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eeew those witchetty grubs are the yuckiest looking thing I've seen for quite a while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am laughing so hard about those witchetty grubs! Good Grief that's horrible! Cute post and hey, marriage is all about trading tasks, right? Looks like you've got a good match :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I daren't mention comping to Rachel she can get quite obsessive about those types of things - current obesession is Tesco's Double the Difference deals - drives me mad, particularly when I get sent to do the shopping as she's paranoid the store are on to her! Love the grubs, true Aussie bush tucker!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great to hear that someone actually wins something in competitions :)Mo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mo, Maybe you should visit Jane's website and blog (Competition Graprevine -- links in my sidebar), and see how she does it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't fancy those chocolates and hardly ever win a competition but I can use a big garden fork!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL those witchetty grubs look so...tasty? Ummm...maybe you can use them in the garden to scare away the nasty bugs! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what a fabulous post, this has given me a good giggle Mark. I especially am full of admiration for your rasher of bacon.

    I am not sure what to say about the wichetty grubs other than perhaps you'd be better off taking your chances with the original?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tripe!!! Yuk, we used to feed our doberman tripe, when i lived in England, many moons ago.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.