Friday 7 January 2011

Another kitchen gadget

Do you know what this is?



Looks like one of those sets of false teeth you used to buy from a Joke shop...



Guessed it? It's a Curry Puff maker. For those of you who do not know what a Curry Puff is, it's a sort of tiny pasty - a pastry casing filled normally with curried minced lamb and potatoes. You can also make vegetarian ones of course. Such things (being fairly small) are often served as finger-food at parties, particularly in India and other places oriental.

The technique is to place a roughly-trimmed piece of pastry over the open mould; put in the filling ingredients and then fold the thing over. The gadget automatically cuts the pastry to the correct size and crimps the edges together in a nice pretty pattern. You can churn out dozens of Curry Puffs in hardly any time at all! The puffs are then deep-fried or cooked in an oven.

Th red item pictured above was acquired years ago when we lived in Hong Kong. When we moved back to the UK Jane wrote to the well-known kitchenware supplier Lakeland Plastics, suggesting that they produce this gadget for the UK market - which they duly did. The Lakeland version was a bit more up-market and had handles to make it easier to use.



We haven't used these items for a fair while now; must have another go...

7 comments:

  1. Well now...I really like these gadgets..one could make all kinds of little puffs.. I'm thinking dessert ones, as well, such as apple or berry...and what about a ham and cheese one and........on and on

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark, I can't believe all the little doohickeys you have to make things... where do you keep all these gadgets?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ali; I have a HUGE house. No, actually I don't, but I / we are quite good at storing things away (and in places where we can get at them to use them when required). We have a house which nominally has 4 bedrooms. One of these is very small and we have put shelves in it to make it into a place for storing all the stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere, like kitchen gadgets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would never have thought that there would be a specific gadget to make these with. Seems you can get a gadget for most things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Or an empanada press. It is intersting that so many cultures have such similar techniques.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please could you tell me where I could buy this gadget in the UK. I live in South Africa, and will be visiting my daughter in August, and would LOVE to buy one of these gadgets. I want to make Malaysian curry puffs, and do not know where I would find one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were available from Lakeland (as described in my post) but I'm not sure if they still are. Try Googling "curry puff maker"...?

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.