Tuesday 7 September 2010

Plant identification -- help needed

Does anyone know what this plant is?

Unidentified (Endive?) plant
The same plant about 3 weeks later
I have two of these things growing in my garden. They appeared amongst the seedlings grown from a packet of Mixed Endives that I bought from Seeds of Italy http://www.seedsofitaly.co.uk/, so they probably are some sort of Endive, but if anyone can tell me exactly what type, I would like to know. All I can say about them so far is that they grow very slowly...
Some of the long, thin, "grass-like" leaves have little barbs or serrations on them, almost like Wild Rocket does. Could it be "Barba di Cappuccino" which I have seen described like this: "Long thin stems. Leaves have serrated edges."

2 comments:

  1. I have to say it looks suspiciously like the Gazania plants which I got cheap from Suttons this summer! But if it was in a packet of veg seed then I'm sure it's not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're wrong! In any case, I hope to be able to eat it in due course, so I really hope it is NOT Gazania.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.